Losing and Finding My Way...

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Fittings & Posts

I had my wedding dress fitting yesterday... I already knew the dress was too big but the damn thing was falling off of me yesterday; I am blaming my weight loss on the price of the alterations... if Brad ever knew how much the alterations alone cost he would kill me!!! It did feel good though, I will admit, that the dress was so loose.
I even got complimented yesterday on my weight loss by one of the supervisors at my plant... I am still trying to decide if he was sincere or just buttering me up. But whatever, a compliment is a compliment and I am going to take it gracefully and roll with it.

Now on to my post; a little background: I am a member of the WEBMD chat board Dieting Club: 50-100 pounds and usually make it to the board at least once daily to check out the posts and even add a few of my own; it is a great support system. Okay, now that the promo is done, I happened to be checking out the board this evening when I saw a post from a 16-yr old gal who stated she was overweight and ready to change (after saying she was tired of being overweight, stared at and made fun of)... long story short it broke my heart and this was my response to her:
Hi [her name here] and welcome to the board!
First let me say I know how you feel; here I am 5'7" and around 205 but I also remember being a teenager and weighing at least 40 pounds more... luckily my body holds it well but that still doesn't mean I wasn't uncomfortable in my own skin or didn't feel out of place in a lot of situations.
Second I would love to applaud you on wanting to do something about it now and actually looking for the resources to get you there... I knew I was way overweight- fat even - and yes, I was active to an extent but it certainly didn't stop me from eating chocolate, chips and other bad-for-you food that you can think of!!!
I lost a lot of weight while in college and part of the weightloss was attained the right way while the other part was lost in a not-so-good way. I am now losing every pound the right way and the way that works best for me... here goes and hopefully this may help you out some:
I have to watch my portion sizes!!! That is one of the biggest things... I love either a full plate or seconds... mmm! One of the biggest things for me is realizing that I am full before I am stuffed- ugh.
Cutting out the bad-for-you snacks... I consider chocolate another food group and could eat it at the drop of a dime, 7 am... whenever. I love chips and stuff too... but they're not worth it.
I count calories because it is good for me to see how much (or how little if you can believe that) I am eating and then I adjust if I need to.
I also journal my foods (fitday.com)... same as calories, it is good for me to see what I am eating.
So those are some of my tips...
Good luck to you

Tiff

So that was my post... I hope it helps her out cause I think in a way it helped me. I remember some of what my feelings were when I was younger (and heavier) and less confident in the person I am (despite my extra weight) but it also is one of the first times that I have actually written down the tips that help me lose weight...

That's all I've got for now!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're doing well with your weight loss, it must have felt really good to have those alterations needed!

    Thanks for caring about kids who are hurting because of their weight and because of how very hard it is to lose weight - and keep it off. I'm sure she appreciated your post.

    Kyra
    :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home